Equipment Applications & Repairs
At Down South Therapy, we are committed to finding personalised solutions to assist you to achieve your goals, and live as independently as possible. We have developed an Equipment Team, who are experts to guide you in the process of finding the most appropriate equipment to suit your needs. Our equipment team will source all equipment needed for trialling and purchase from local suppliers, and will assist in the application process from funding bodies. Listed below is further information about the service we provide.
Our equipment team understands how important a home is to our clients, and that each home is different. They can assess and work collaboratively to ensure a customised solution to keep you safe and independent at home for as long as possible. Our equipment team will provide a comprehensive assessment of both the interior and exterior of your home, and make appropriate recommendations to ensure safety in the most convenient way. This assessment includes but is not limited to:
- House access: Our equipment team will determine the most convenient and safe entry into your home, one that suits your way of life. They can determine the need for small modifications such as the installation of ramps for wheelchair or walkers, hand rails or banister rails to assist with steps and door thresholds, step extensions to reduce the height of steps; or more complex modifications such as the removal of door thresholds.
- Bedroom: Our equipment team will assess bed mobility and safety to ensure that you can be comfortable when sleeping and transfer in and out of bed safely. They will determine whether improvements can be made with techniques, small modifications can be made with existing furniture such as the raising the bed or the provision or small equipment such as rails, or whether more complex bed systems are a better option to improve your comfort and independence.
- Bathroom: Our equipment team can assess your bathroom to ensure safety and independence with transferring into and out of a bath or shower. They can make recommendations and trial of small aids that can assist, measure and assess for handrails, or work with you to determine more complex renovations to suit your needs.
- Toilet: Our equipment team can assess safety and independence in use of the toilet. They can recommend and trial small equipment options, or recommend and measure for the installation of rails or other renovations to assist in independence. Furthermore, our equipment team can also explore options for night time toileting or incontinence.
- Kitchen: Our equipment team can assess your kitchen and make recommendations to help you be independent in meal preparation. They can advise of kitchen set-up for efficiency and safety, recommend and trial small aids to assist in the preparation and cooking process, and if desired can advise on renovations for a safer kitchen environment.
- Home seating: Our equipment team can look at seating within the home, to ensure that you are not only comfortable, but safe and independent. Whether it be dining chairs, lounge chairs, or any other seating options; they will determine the most appropriate solution for you. Our equipment team will determine whether small modifications are able to be used, or whether new seating options would be more suitable.
- Activities of Daily Living: Our equipment team understand that sometimes you may need a little help. They can assess how you complete all the things that you need to do each day such as dressing, cleaning, gardening, laundry etc. and provide strategies on how to make these jobs easier. They can also recommend and trial of small aids to assist, and if required, recommend external agencies that can provide assistance.
Being able to access the community is essential to be able to participate and engage with social interactions, as well as being able to attend appointments or essential duties such as shopping. Our equipment team can assess your current needs, and make recommendations to ensure you are able to independently access the community. This assessment includes but is not limited to:
- Walking aids: Our equipment team can assess your safety in walking, and can prescribe programs and equipment to keep you on your feet. Falls can happen, but our equipment team will ensure that the risks are minimised through personalised assessment and training.
- Wheelchairs/Mobility scooters: Where longer travel is required, our equipment team can assess you needs and prescribe the most suitable wheelchair or mobility scooter needed. They can organise trials, provide training, and ensure appropriate modifications and customisations to ensure that you are able to be independent in the community.
- Vehicle modifications: Our equipment team can assess and work collaboratively with vehicle modifiers to assist in developing a system for you to be safe in being a passenger, or continuing to drive your own car. Whether it be access or transport with a wheelchair, assistance in transferring, or modifying controls for driving, our equipment team can provide a personalised solution that suits you.
Being comfortable and seated appropriately is essential in management of breathing, eating, and general well-being. Our equipment team can provide assessment and recommendations on appropriate seating or postural solutions to suit you and you needs. This assessment includes but is not limited do:
- Management of pressure injuries: Pressure injuries are a concern, and if left untreated can have potentially fatal implications. Our equipment team can assess you risk of pressure injuries and make recommendations of the most suitable seating options for you. If you already have a pressure injury, or are at a high risk, they can provide education and training on how to best manage and prevent pressure injuries from developing or worsening.
- Customised back supports and seating systems: Our equipment team can assess your posture and flexibility of your pelvis and spine to determine the most appropriate level of support. Whether possible to correct postures, or accommodate those that can not change, our equipment team will ensure that you are comfortable in seating and maintain your health and well-being.
- Sleep systems: We spend a third of our lives sleeping, and so it is important to ensure postural management during sleep. Our equipment team can assess and determine a customised sleeping system to help assist you with positioning throughout the night.
If you have concerns about what equipment you currently have, or feel as though it is not working as it should, our equipment team can review the equipment and determine the best approach. Our equipment team can provide re-education if needed, can assess and determine need for change of equipment, or can work with it and modify so that it better suits your needs. Our equipment team will provide necessary assessment, and will work collaboratively with you to ensure what changes are made continue to suit your current life and needs, whilst maximising your independence.
Accidents happen and equipment can break. Our equipment team can provide small repairs to equipment, including patching punctured wheelchair tyres, repairing faulty brakes, or securing loose parts. Our equipment will determine if equipment is repairable and organise with external agencies if required, or recommend replacement if irreparable.